Sunday, December 27, 2009

Futuristic Mind Set

Welcome to the future, What's Up?!! So I'm thinking that I'm going to shoot for a realistic goal for a new post every month. This post I'll keep it short and put up a poem I just finished. I use the word finished loosely because my work is always evolving. Well I just wrapped this one up I call it "22nd century Man". This is actually the first of many pieces where I've been using my obsession with time travel and space as a metaphor to discuss things like relationships and social issues. You know what since it's been a while I'm going to post three pieces.


#1) 22nd Century...

I'm just too futuristic
you can call me Joe Jetson.
I'm trying to fight the fight
so you know I got to jet son.
I'm flying with garbage inside
that I know I need to jettison.
I'm quietly dying inside so you
know I need my medicine.

And it's evident that I'm reticent to
take the advice of better men and just let go
of the irrelevant. Even though....
I've seen the storm surge of adversity and what it does to those who do
not possess the tools to weather it...
Whether it was in my mind or a result of my misuse of time... it is mine.
Every mistake or lucky break on each chance I take is all mine.
I've seen what the past has to offer.... so dealing with an unwritten future is fine with me.
I'll just kick back with my cousin Elroy and crank call Mr. Spacely.

And you wonder after all that's been tried why you still can't relate to me.
Well.... It's cause I've been on my 22nd century lately.
Somewhere in the space between my mind and the milky way lies an alternate universe where who I am is not dictated by what you say... I've been on my 22nd century lately.

Welcome to the future....
Hoverboards and liquid steps you can step on.
See everyone walks on water around here so there's no need for you to step on
the soul of another with hopes that their spot will get you closer to the top....
With these anti-gravity belts we can all get a fair shot, whether you like it or not.

You see I've been on my 22nd century lately.
Seeing beyond what I could dream or where any of your
criticisms would take me.
You can no longer bait me, that past doesn't make me, the present won't break me...
You were obsessed with the future, but didn't understand that's what made me.
So I'm back on my 22nd century baby.

I'm just too futuristic....
But when it's the present...
they call it gifted.....
I've sifted through Cogswell's cogs
and built rockets with Spacely's space sprockets
So there's need for me to sit through this nonsense
and have you minimize my accomplishments....

It's just too futuristic
So far ahead I guess you missed it.
They say you can't bring the future back so time will keep on ticking...

#2) At Night

At night...
I lie awake... Eyes closed...
Spaced Out... doing laps around the sun...
Seeing truth through my eye lids...
As if it were that simple to find...
By seeing no one.

At night...
I fight the daylight...
I don't sleep...
At odds with my shadow.
A quest for truth has sent me through space and time,
Across the far reach of many galaxies...
Only to leave me here alone...
In this underworld with these demons
battling my past again.
Hoping I can win and make it back
before the daylight Leaves me trapped with them.

At night...
I grapple with...
Beings...
Places you've never been...
Losing so much...
That a win is just making up with failure's kin...
Running away from where failure's been.

At night...

I fight with the little monsters
Underneath my bed..
They want me for their militia...
An army or something...
I'm hunting for something so I scatter from my world.
I'm running from something so I escape to their world.
Starting a revolution with my dreams
Using my nightmares to save their world.
They call me brave in their new world.
A Knight of the night..
but I can't stay in their new world.
Climbing out of the bed's
shadows; struggling to make daylight my friend
A price to pay for their new world.

#3) Ok, heres a brand spanking new one, def not done yet, not even titled but I want to share...

Step into my closet...
not even the skeletons
can identify these calcium deposits.
You can beg, steal, and borrow...
not even his secrets can speak of this bachelor's sorrow.

Check out the threads...
a little bit of tomorrow, yesterday, and today...
Check out the dreads...
the receipt of a long journey's pay...
Around Neptune's Moons and back...
the gift of a long journey's stay.

Looking fresh and fly...
live from 2085...
hopping in and out of wormholes
becoming nothing but matter...
when I'm nothing but matter nothing matters...
and I'm flattered that you've gathered that I
might not have come back in one piece...

All that matters is that I've come back with some peace...
Some piece of mind...
Some piece of energy...

That one is still a work in progress, thanks for checking out my work and taking time out to chill in the 22 century with me...

Peace and Poetry.

Also as a little something extra, as promised I'm highlighting a new hip hop group. They're not really new, but probably new to a few. A Chinese-American rap group out of LA called Far East Movement. The name of the song is called Fetish, all about Hip Hop Fashion Yo!!! Check it out and if you like them, head to Itunes and cop their Album entitled "Animal". I'll have a album review posted on it next month. Press Play:

No comments:

Post a Comment